When we first bought our house over a year and a half ago, we did so much work on flipping it. It was a big, big project. Lots of work had to be done to make it liveable. Well, by the time we finally got moved in, we were over it. Done. Burnt out and no steam to finish alot of little things we wanted to do. Lately tho, I have been ready to delve back in and finish some rooms that never quiet got done. Another reason is that I really like things neat and in order, I don't need a great big house to be happy, but a well organized, clean one is something that is high on my priority list!
So begins project: Office/playroom overhaul
 |
| The view at the top of the stairs more often than not is this, not happy |
This playroom in my mind and in reality are so different. Sadly, our playroom stays a disaster zone. No matter how much a I clean and organize the kids' toys are like a violent plague creeping out and contaminating the room with clutter! So, I had this brilliant plan (or so I like to think it will be).
 |
| Seriously I am brave to post these pics |
Instead of having all their toys in the playroom itself leaving a massive disaster zone, and no room to actually play, I would clear out the playroom closet and turn it into the toy closet. If it's gonna stay destroyed at least I can close the door, right? So, that would leave me with my little office/playroom to turn into the little space I dreamed of when we bought this house. First, however, I had to overhaul the closets so that all the things being stored could find new homes. So this meant every closet in the house got updated, cleaned out and re-packed. So far, to this point in my makeover, I have gotten all the closets in the house cleaned out, and re-stuffed with more things than any one family should own. I have emptied out the office/playroom as far as I can.
 |
| BEFORE: This is my closet I wanted to turn into a toy filled joyland, leaving room in the playroom itself to actually play, I hope! This closet became the dumping spot for everything that never found a home when we moved. It holds all the really important stuff that we never use or need or have any hopes of using. Wedding dress that doesn't fit, guitar that noone can play, blankets gallore, pillows, you name it, its in there in a terrifying heap. |
 |
AFTER: Nothing special, but this closet now contains all the kids toys, coloring books, movies, etc...I may get around to painting these walls, but for now, I am loving having that door to close on all the insanity!
Now back to the playroom itself..... |
 |
| BEFORE: charming small room -check, windows i love - check, room itself -gag |
 |
Well, step one is complete. Got the room cleared out of toys. Now on to step 2! The little house, the bean bags, and the desk will be leaving us soon for other homes elsewhere in the house or in someone else's home.
|
 |
So this isn't even near the AFTER status, but it is progress
Look at
how there isn't anything drug out into the room. So far, so good. The
toys seem to stay in the closet. The kids pull them out to play with
them in the room but will actually put them back into the closet when
they are done (with a bit of prompting :)
|
Now its ready for new furnishings (psst, they aren't new at all, did I mention I love thrifting?) and some fun decor. I love this room ever since we first saw this house and can't wait to turn it into a fun, functional space for both us and the kids to enjoy! So much more to come, as soon as I get it done, I will be sharing!
No comments:
Post a Comment