Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Freezer Cooking #1

For a couple years now I have been wanting to have a freezer cooking day. Since cooking is far from my favorite (and I don't try to hide the fact) the thought of cooking one day for several weeks worth of food, helping me to not spend any more time in the kitchen than necessary sounded super desirable. I should say that even though I don't enjoy cooking, neither do I like the price of eating out so I do cook,  just don't enjoy it. Well, finally decided to quit putting it off and just have a freezer cooking day. Since I haven't been feeling well lately I figured it would help me out on the days I don't feel great to be able to pull a meal out of the freezer and have it all ready.


So one Saturday in October, I woke up feeling great and decided that was to be the day. Ricky was home to help with anything the kids needed and I had already been stocking up on meat in my freezer when I would run across a sale so all I had to do was grab a few things at the grocery store and get to cooking.

I think putting the refried beans down first helped keep them from getting soggy

These have made tasty lunches...microwave for 90 seconds and enjoy


I couldn't believe how much I was able to cook in 3 hours! In that time I put together:

2 - 8x8 Poppyseed Chicken Casseroles
1 - 9x13 Poppyseed Chicken Casseroles
2 - Large containers of homemade Chili
1 - Large meatloaf
1 - 9x13 pan of homemade meatballs
2 large bags of homemade burritos
1 - mexican bean dip casserole


All that was made in 3 hours. Then I took a break and decided to make pumpkin bread. I decided I would double the recipe and wow,,,,um, I forgot how much the recipe made without being doubled. So, I spent another Hour and a Half making bread and muffins. After the first loaf took nearly an hour to cook I decided to forget that and made muffins instead. And those cooked really quickly. Then I individually wrapped them and we have been having them for breakfast. I really like the recipe (with a only a tiny pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg, since I don't like those spices) and have had it for breakfast every morning this week. I just take them out of the freezer, put them in the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds and presto, warm fall breakfast is ready.

The recipe made so so much! I was making muffins for forever!
I will for sure do this again in the future. Ricky and I have been having the frozen burritos for lunch at work. Its so nice to just pull it out of the freezer and get lunch ready. Plus they are really good. I used venison (sorry for those of you who don't like it) because it has less fat than beef and I didnt want my tortillas to get soggy. Then seasoned it with taco seasoning, added black beans (that I love) and layered that with re-fried beans and cheese on a tortilla shell. yummo!

Pumpkin muffins...i will miss you when you are gone
If you have been thinking about freezer cooking I would highly recommend it. I wish I had started sooner because I think it would have saved me alot of time in the kitchen.This will be something I will absolutely find time to do from here on out!



No comments:

Post a Comment