Thursday, July 16, 2015

Big Bike Rider

Back in late April, Caleb began begging us to take his training wheels off his bike. We kept assuring him we would get around to it. Finally, he wore us down enough (LOL) and one afternoon Ricky took him out, removed his training wheels and decided to spend some time getting him used to riding without the extra pair of wheels.


I was so glad that I had my camera out because if I had not had it in my hands I would have missed his two seconds of learning to ride a bike. He rode half the distance of the driveway with Ricky's hand guiding him. By the time he reached the end of the driveway he was saying "Let go, Dad, I'm good"....
And that was it! He rode back up the driveway alone and has been flying around on two wheels ever since.




It's these little things that make me realize how independent of us the kids are becoming. For those first few years they needed us for everything. But these days, more and more they are doing things on their own and finding their own way.
It is bitter -sweet isn't it? You want your kids to be responsible and succeed on their own, and yet their is a big hunk of my heart that says, "Don't tell me to let go yet, I know you are ready, but I am not!"

Caleb has now graduated to a big red bike and passed his down to his cousin, Elijah.
Caleb is a proud guy on his new bike and feels like he is just grown up....but he still comes and finds me and wants to snuggle and be held and I think forever he will want to be scratched. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment