Occasionally a situation arises in life and I find myself longing to ask God "why?". Tonight my heart is heavy. Tonight I long to question. My dear friend learned of a loss today and shared it with me this evening. While loss is a part of life, I feel myself doubting, questioning and wondering where God is in this. I wonder what possible good could come from such loss. Most of all I want to help. I'm by nature an action person, I am not one who can sit by, I want to do anything, even if it is small and insignificant. Just doing anything to busy my hands and mind so I can attempt to fix it. Tonight I do not know what to do. I ask myself how would Jesus respond? What would He do? How would he help and what would His actions be? And I find my answer. John 11. Here Jesus has learned from Mary and Martha that their brother Lazarus was sick. He makes His way to their home and when He arrives Lazarus has died. Here is Jesus with Mary and Martha and even though He is Jesus and He is all knowing (and knows that He will make Lazarus rise from the grave) He gives a beautiful portrait of what to do when those you love are hurting. John 11:35. The shortest verse in the entire Bible. Two simple words. . . Jesus wept.
He wept for their loss, for their pain and He empathized with them. He not only cried for them, but felt their pain too. Real and raw, and showed them His pain with His own tears. My Jesus weeps over loss. Jesus knowing all the answers, having the divine ability to see the future and comprehend all things still weeps. While I am considering the reaction of Jesus in this verse, I remember a song, and suddenly its' words make sense to me. I can not remember who sings it, but it talks about when people are hurting and you want to help them, to "love them like Jesus". A few words of the song say this " you don't need the answers to all of life's questions, just know that HE loves them, and stay by their side, and Love them like Jesus. . . Carry them to Him, His yoke is easy and His burden is light". This song has never made sense to me until tonight. Tonight I see how Jesus loved through loss. He wept.
And so, dear friend, I cry with you tonight. My heart longs to fix it all and make it all better with the right words but there are none. I weep. And as I weep, I pray for healing, joy and peace. I know heaven is made more special with the presence of one of God's own waiting there. . . And I picture her in yellow.
No comments:
Post a Comment