Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Caleb then to now

Why not visit back over the birthdays he has had?
The day Caleb was born. I will remember always, of course. What momma would not? I remember he was born in the same room Laney was. I remember he was born after a little scare. I remember missing my other baby. I had a newborn in my arms and a baby waiting for me at home.



You were soft, new and tiny. How could I have forgotten how small you would be? I remember feeling a bit overwhelmed but quickly rising to do what Mommas do. Holding you tight and aching with love.I remember those first few weeks. Mainly spent in a chair with one baby in each arm. I remember how scared we were when things didn't work right with your eyes, then your stomach, your ears, your hearing, your lungs. And how thankful I am that it seems you have overcome each of these. I remember how Daddy and I knew you were a boy long before they told us you would be.



I remember the spit up. That was a lot of spit up, son. I remember your lop-sided grin. Those fat rolls piling over top of each other in the bath. Oh the bath, you loved a bath. At 5 months you were so round and happy, "Baby Tubber". Your eyes. I still don't know what color they are. Grey, hazel..? I remember how overwhelmed I felt with two babies so small. So overwhelmed, so in love. If you only knew how much. But I do.



Do you remember that first birthday? I do. You were still just a baby. You wouldn't walk yet, not for several months. You had no balance. You only had 15% of your hearing. But you were happy. We all were! You had a John Deere party. Of course we did! We learned you like cupcakes. You love Laney. She helped make your cupcakes. She helped alot. Bringing diapers for you, socks, shoes, and she read to you. Not that she could, but she pretended.








Your second birthday, you were really a boy then. We were moving and it was a small party. You started sleeping in a big boy bed then too. Well a toddler bed, really. Thank you for sleeping. You always have slept so well. It was such a great gift to us. You and Laney entertain each other now. You are the best of playmates. Having someone to keep you company keeps you both happy. You are turning into a funny little boy. I think you will have a strong sense of humor. You were so sick this year. The doctors would send us to a big hospital for lots of scary tests. We were worried. But son, we know God is watching over you. Still, Momma is relieved when it is all over. Even more as you grow healthier with each passing month.


Now your three son. You are indeed a funny boy. You can be rowdy and hyper one moment and be cuddled up in my lap the next. My hair in a pony-tail, you don't like that. You like it down, straight and "pitty". If it isn't the way you like it you let me know "you hair is messy". You notice things like that. You miss sister when she is at school and ask to go get her constantly. Your hair turns so bright and blonde in the summer sun. And your lashes are so long. You are wearing "unnerware" all day now. Only at night are you in diapers. Thanks for that! You love to run around listening to Daddy's records, love to ride in his "big truck". You will love all he will teach you.



The cows are your favorite thing on the weekend. In the tractor you beg for the windows to be open so you can hear them "talk". Somedays it is so cold we don't want to open them, but we do anyway. Football, wow you really like that. Your so adorable when you get in position on the line, and say "hut", and then run across the floor and pretend to be tackled. You are a little superhero rescuing Laney's Barbies when they need it. Superman, Batman, Spiderman or Woody or Buzz...we never know who you will be. We are the best of playmates the three of us,while Daddy is working. We are silly, crazy and outrageous together. Every day with you is another adventure. Happy Birthday son. Grow on!




No comments:

Post a Comment