Saturday, March 2, 2013

And so it begins....dating

There are really no pictures from the first few dates Ricky and I went on. I so wish that there were! But, regardless, after 10 years some of the details are beginning to fade so, thanks to this writing venture I have been on, it is getting recorded here.

First Date:
Ricky called me just a couple days after that Valentine's get together. He asked me out and I agreed. Honestly I did not want to go. Let me be clear in that it wasn't anything about Ricky I didn't like, I just kept saying I wasn't ready. But, regardless I agreed to one date and honestly planned on that being it. We ended up talking 2 or 3 times before our Friday night date that following weekend (either Feb 22 or 23, i can't remember). We decided to go to the movies and dinner. I learned from talking to him that his families farm where he lived was literally like 2 minutes from my parents house. We had both grown up just a few minutes from each other and had never actually met.

The night of the date I was a mess. I told my Momma I just wasn't ready and I was just all over the place. She asked me if I liked him and I said I didn't know. Then I made some comment like, "I can't get past the mustache". Yes, he had a mustache. I told her I wish I had never agreed to this date. She tried to calm me down and then I said, "I wish God would just give me some kind of sign to calm me down".

AND A KNOCK AT THE DOOR.....
I go to the door and low and behold!!!
NO MUSTACHE! Hello God? I had my sign! But if I thought it would calm my nerves I was wrong. I looked at my mom before I opened the door and she says now my eyes were huge as I motioned to her that the mustache was gone. HAHA! I think this had to be so much fun for my mom to watch.

Well, off we went on our date. Our little movie theater in the next town over had 2 screens at the time. Very small! We had not done a very good job of seeing what was playing. So, when we get to the movies there were two choices. Some horror, thriller killer movie (which Bethany does not do), or Return to Neverland...yes, the sequel to Peter Pan. Um, yeah, that is what we watched!

When we got out of the movie I can't remember why, but somehow we ended up at Taco Bell. Fancy Shmancy first date.
I don't really remember what I was feeling that first date. But I do remember that we didn't have any problems talking. And I remember when we were eating that I looked at his hands and thought he had really manly hands. In my book that is a big plus! I have always thought a guy needs to have working hands and he did.

After dinner we drove around a little and he took me home.
And now the awful part. We sat in my parents drive way talking for quiet a while and then I gave him my prepared polite speech....also known as "the brush off". Why I did this I have no idea. But, I had planned it out and followed it through to a T. I did the whole "your a nice guy, but..." and the "I'm just not ready for a relationship" and finished it off with a nice "lets just be friends".....Seriously why he stuck around I will never know! But am I ever so thankful that he did.

The next night he called me and asked me out again. I was like WHAT!? Did I not just give this guy the reject last night? So I told him I had plans. So then he asked if he could see me Sunday evening. I told him I would be at church. He said he would just come pick me up and go to church with me! I said, "Well, one of my friends was coming over Sunday and we were riding to church together"....he said, "Ok, I'll just meet you there then."

I remember telling my mom, "how do you tell somebody they can't come to church?!"

So he came to church. I still remember to this day what he was wearing that night. I was setting in my pew with my friend and my family was a few rows ahead of us and I turn around and catch sight of him as he walked in. Oh, what was that? A flutter? a little flutter, but still a flutter in my chest when I saw him.

And so, I became "interested". Right then. No love at first sight or anything, but I knew I wanted to get to know this persistant man.


No comments:

Post a Comment