Saturday, March 2, 2013

Birthday Present - Room makeover


The last of the birthday posts! These photos are from Laney's actual birthday. It fell on a Monday this year, so she was in school on her big day. A couple weeks before her birthday Laney K came up and told me that for her birthday she really wanted a Hello Kitty bedroom. Well, we already had her presents at that time and so I told her not this year. When we moved here I let her choose her room theme and she chose the Disney Princesses (of course) and so we got her a bedspread with that on it and put a few (like maybe 3) princess things in her room. That was 2 years ago and I didn't really want to make her room over.

Dad and Laney -- early morning photo
As it turned out she got her wish! We had told her we would be giving her the present we had for her on her actual birthday and not at her party. Then at her party (the Saturday before her birthday) she received several different Hello Kitty gifts, including a big Hello Kitty pillow and some Hello kitty Frames and other little things.

One of her main gifts from us was this little antique chair I had picked up for $13.00 at an antique shop here. Me and Ricky found a yard of fabric on sale at Hobby Lobby that would look good with the chair and Ricky re-covered the seat for it. I considered painting the dainty little chair, but opted not to (FOR ONCE, shocking I know :) It was just such a neat little finish just the way it was and I like the mix of wood it added

She LOVES her Daddy! And he LOVES his girl!
The day after her party and the day before her birthday, the gears in my head got to turning and I realized that with just a little $ and some quick changes we could actually do the Hello Kitty room remodel pretty easily. So, I made a run to Wally while the kids were napping and then Ricky took the kids to Grandmomma and Granddaddys and left me at home to quickly do a little painting and get things ready.

I took a printable from the party and framed it in an old 11x17 frame I had. I just so happened to have a can of watermelon pink spray paint and gave the frame a once over to coordinate it to the room. (total cost of this little addition, $0 dollars)




She tore the real bow off her frame and used the bow from the pin the bow on the kitty instead... :)
At Walmart I ran across a pack of Hello Kitty wall decals for $15. That kinda was more than I planned on spending but they really made the room (in her eyes).


Ever since we moved here I have been wanting to put a curtain up around her little desk area. Well, I found a curtain ($10) that I knew she would like but they only had 1. So, I am ordering the other one.

That Monday after Ricky left to take Laney to school I made a mad scramble to redo her room. I didn't have much time since I too had to be at work that day. Ricky came home and helped me hang things on the walls and put the curtain up.


And now the best part....Her princess bedspread that we bought two years ago was reversible and I forgot all about it. So, I turned it over to the solid pink with white stitching side, put her new white jersey knit sheet that Mimi had gotten her on her bed and then put a soft blanket that Nina had given me on my birthday on her bed and voila! New to her bed without anything being bought new. Then we threw on 4 stuffed animals (trying to limit the number of stuffed animals in the bed!!) and the Hello Kitty pillow she had gotten and it was done!


The little decals really gave it the Kitty look she wanted without forcing me to commit to the weird little cat thing for forever. :)

And that was about it! Total cost of her room, chair and everything was between $40 and $50.

I ran off to work and couldn't wait till school was out to pick her up and let her see the room...


When she came home she was so surprised. Caleb did such a good job of not letting the cat out of the bag(or the hello kitty out of the bag) on the ride home. Her favorite part was the cream colored soft blanket that we added to the bed. And she was so impressed that Daddy had "made" the chair for her.
Sweet girl with her new desk area and chair


Well, she had been 6 for almost a week now. She is still enjoying her room!

No comments:

Post a Comment