Thursday, January 9, 2014

Our wedding day...I remember

Our wedding day! After a long 2 months of being engaged our wedding day arrived. I enjoyed looking at all the people in these photos. My how time has flown and people have gotten....OLD :) I hope you will enjoy reminiscing with me...

Things I remember about that day- Well, it was a little bit of a blur. I remember... getting makeup and hair done and getting everyone to the church. I don't remember alot of the day, it was such a flurry of activity.I remember ... we realized my dress had been taken in a little too much and it barely fit. So much so that my  Mom and Ricky's stepmother, Lana, had to work together to get the buttons to reach...And the end result left me barely able to take a deep breath. But...on with the show...(I call it a show affectionately. My Memaw told me afterwards that my wedding "was a good show" lol...I love that sarcastic lady!)
Me and the girls


I need to interrupt here and just explain that the photographer that day kept telling everyone to hold the elbow of the person in front of them. The end result was pictures that always make me want to say "CHOO CHOO CHUGGA CHUGGA CHUGGA CHUGGA CHOO CHOO". LOL But I like even that memory lol!
My family -
Karnes Family train
Ricky's Family
I love this photo, you can see just a whole lot of happy here!
Bros be all thugs and girls be all cheesy
 The photo below really shows how much can change in 11 years. It made me stop and sigh when I came across this photo. 3 of the people in this photo have passed away. Ricky's beloved "Two Momma's" and our "Winkie" both have passed away. And Lana, Ricky's step-mother, also passed away. Lana helped in organizing our wedding rehearsal dinner and also lent Ricky the money to buy my engagement ring. I have good memories of these people and am glad I got to know them all for a time.

Back to our wedding, I  remember... it was really hot in the room where all us girls were waiting on things to get ready. Then it seemed like in no time it was time for me to see my groom.
I remember ...walking out of the holding room into the vestibule and realizing my dress was very heavy, but I just loved it. I always wanted a long train on a wedding dress and that was my favorite part of my dress.

We chose to have our wedding pictures done before the ceremony and we really liked the way that worked out. We had the lights in the sanctuary dimmed, music playing and the auditorium emptied of everyone. Ricky was at the front of the church when I came down the aisle toward him. We got to spend just a few quiet minutes together and it felt like a big deep breath. After that everyone started taking pictures and scurrying to do last minute details. I remember smiling...alot. So much that our cheeks hurt.
Wedding party
So, things that went wrong? Well, noone thought to light the candles for the pictures. lol....see below...
 
And I think somewhere when my sister was singing that the piano player played one verse too many in a song, but I didn't even notice and my sister covered it like a champ so that I doubt anyone else noticed either. The flower girls strap broke on her dress but that got repaired quickly. And, I think the ushers mixed up which set of parents they were to walk down the aisle.

Things that went right...everything! :) I became the luckiest girl in the world when I said I do and took his name. I have never regretted that! I was so pleased with our wedding music. My sister sang, we had an acoustic guitar play along with the piano and Aunt Lydia sang my favorite song of all,  "Only God Could Love You More Than I Do". Makes me cry to this day.


One of my favorite memories was actually after we walked back up the aisle after being pronounced husband and wife. We walked out the double doors and they closed behind us. Then I was literally lifted up off my feet by my new husband and I was so surprised to see him crying. It was a wonderful time. We both were so relieved the wedding stress was over and we just loved each other and were excited about our new life together.

Then it was on to the reception...
I  remember... that I drank a ton of punch at the reception. I was so parched by the time I got there that I don't even remember much else except how good the punch was lol! I remember...when we realized we had gotten way way way too much cake. LOL! Clearly! Look at that cake!

And I remember...just after this photo below was made I hit reverse after I made sure my cake was securely in my mouth and smeared Ricky's all over his face. I think I really caught him off guard. :) Now he knows better!

Bubbles and rice as we leave. This was my favorite photo from the day and someone snapped it with their personal camera. I just remember really well how happy we were in that moment.
We left the church and went back to Ricky's and my new home where we changed and headed off for our honeymoon. He carried me across the threshold and the whole bit. Probably the last time he carried me right there...


We have enjoyed growing up together. I was only 20 when we got married and I wouldn't have it any other way. Some people didn't approve of my being so young but we both say looking back that we think it was an easier transition into married life.

So that was it. We got married and seriously it has been the best years of my life. I love this man!

I could not ask for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment