For now, let's delve into what the title of this post is talking about.
Sir New House has a problem. A mole problem.
![]() |
| Setting the trap |
In high school we had a project in Biology II where we had to do a presentation on the number referred to as Mole. Do you remember learning about Mole in school? Perhaps you didn't know but there is even a day celebrated in honor of the unit, called Mole Day. It's October 23 (a nice play off of the number 6.02x1023.) I can't really fully explain all about Avogadro's constant, but the mole has to do with mass and expressed grams and alot of other things that I can't remember from high school years.
So, we celebrated Mole Day in that Biology class and had to come up with a creative way to present the basics about the mole unit. I remember racking my brain over what I was going to do. Some people did video's in white lab coats where they were set up in a lab explaining all about the mole. Others drew out very detailed charts and graphs and had elaborate presentations. This was not happening for me. I worked after school and there was not time for all that. However, I did come up with an original idea and to this day I will still hear occasional comments about my presentation.
I sang - in front of my entire class.
I sang a song about the mole. So come listen to my song and sing along. .. I'm pretty sure you know the tune -
"Come listen to a story about a mole named Joel
Poor little mole with a number by Avogadro
One fine day he was diggin him a hole
When up from the ground came 6.0
2 times 10 to the 23rd that is
Avogadro's number - Mole"
"Well first thing you know ole' Joel's a millionaire
Kin moles said, "Joel, move away from here
Said Californi is the place you ought to be
So he burrowed him a hole and moved to Beverly
Burrows that is - swimming pools, movie moles..."
If that made no sense to you, go back and sing it again along to the tune of the Beverly Hillbillies.
I remember for the first time my Biology teacher actually laughed and talked to me. And I got a A+ on my assignment as well as requests for encores as this story circulated around our school. It was probably humorous because #1 I barely talked in school, much less sang and #2 I do not sing well - at all.
Anyway, back to Sir New House and the mole. We have a mole problem. I can only imagine how hard the moles have worked on their tunnels as they are intricately woven all over our yard.
Husband dear to the rescue. He has experimented with 3 different mole trap designs. The first two were big and intimidating and...didn't work at all. The 3rd was a series of tiny, cheap traps and worked like a charm! Don't believe me? Let me present terrifying exhibit A:
I had been in the basement of the new house with my dear
Why? Why does my husband feel the need to let the kids hold every dispicable vermin in the world? Seriously!? They were so proud of the mole. And I was horrified, and oddly intrigued. They are strange looking creatures. Something I would never touch but interesting to see.
And since then, he has killed an even larger mole with his trap. Kinda gross - but hey, come spring maybe our yard will be tunnel free and we can cut the grass without feeling like we are on some death defying fair ride.
For now, he has more traps set and we shall hope that the moles just tunnel on over to someone else's yard and leave us be. Please Joel, leave us be - save yourself and burrow away.
![]() |
| Why? Why is my little girl holding a mole? Seriously? |


No comments:
Post a Comment