Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Caleb's Turkey Disguise

When Thanksgiving starts getting close around here and you are a first grader... well, then one of my favorite class projects is about to happen. Turkey disguise time. This project is a fun one that is sent home for families to complete together. The mission? To keep poor Tom Turkey from becoming Thanksgiving dinner by disguising him so he wouldn't be recognized as the delicious fowl fare he was born to be.

You may remember two years ago when Laney had this project. She wanted to disguise her Tom as Santa. 
I kept her Santa Turkey project and pulled it out to show Caleb when he came home this year with his Turkey Disuise project in tow. 

Santa Turkey has fared pretty well these last two years. Not that he really needs his disguise, filed away in a cabinet with the kids others projects and papers I am saving. I plan on setting around looking at the kids folders when they grow up and leave us.... I mostly envision Ricky and I with white hair, deep wrinkles, glasses perched on the ends of our noses, looking through these files while we set watching Hallmark and go through a box of tissues a day as we reminisce about the "good ol' days". That is what people do when their kids leave home right? haha -
Laney's turkey Santa from first grade
Well, when Caleb came in with his project,  he spent a couple of hours contemplating the perfect disguise.
He first considered the typical guy disguise - a camo turkey. But, he said he thought someone else would pick that and he wanted to have one that noone else thought of. So, he decided to wait a day or two until the perfect idea came along.

He came home the next afternoon and told me: "Mom, I want my turkey to be a cow."
He had decided that at school because his teacher LOVES cows. He was sure noone else would think of it and she would prefer his cow over everyone else's if he made it look like her favorite animal. Mrs. Stacy does love her cows. She has quiet a collection of figurines and cow everything.

I loved his idea....but was a little unsure of making it look like "a real cow" like Caleb requested.
At last, I thought of an idea. I asked him if a Chik-fil-A cow would work. His response? He busted out laughing and said, "Oh yeah - Mrs. Stacy is gonna love this!"

Success - :) now our cow could look a bit less life-like.
Well...anyway, this is the finished product. He was one happy Turkey disguiser! And I loved getting to be involved and work together on this little project.


And I am with the cow - let's go eat more chicken! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment