~ Grandaddy James ~
Grandaddy was a mentor for Ricky growing up. He taught him to hunt, to fish, to look a man in the eye when you shake his hand. Grandaddy loved his family and loved to put on a big fish fry, bake a fancy cake and have everyone over. He was a hunter, a man's man, he loved to garden, tinker, fish and cook.
When he was diagnosed with cancer last year, his family- this tight-knit, big group of individuals- rallied together and became even closer. Our summer and fall was spent gathered around Grandmama's kitchen table and huddled together on the carport of their home soaking in every moment of time spent just the way they have all these years. Together.
Grandaddy deemed me "Granny" from one of our first few meetings over 14 years ago. This year when Ricky and I hosted the annual Floyd Thanksgiving at our home, Grandaddy explained why he always referred to me that way. He said it was because I was always watching out for everyone and seeing what needed to be done.... I'll forever cherish how he complimented by calling me that all those years.
When Laney was about one, Grandaddy constructed this swing for all the grandkids and greats to enjoy out in the front yard. It reminded me so much of a swing my own Dad had made for me and my sister when we were little girls. Grandaddy's swing has entertained all the little ones in the family for many years now and every time we drive up I think about how it shows his love for his family.
| Grandaddy James |
This above picture captures so well the fun of being around this family. And while one very important part of the family has gone ahead, we still are enjoying being together and "porch setting" goes on strong :)
This photo was taken late last summer. Yes, I was taking a picture during the family prayer before our meal. (Did you expect any less? )
It captures our family times spent at Grandmomma and Grandaddys. I've been blessed by this family and am thankful to be considered one of them. Looking forward to many get togethers ahead.
No comments:
Post a Comment