Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Project Puppy


In April of this year, the kids finally convinced Ricky and I to take leave of our senses and agree to let them work to buy themselves their very own puppy.

This was no small task. Laney has a mild dog allergy so we knew it would need to be super hypoallergenic. The original plan was for an outside dog, but somehow I convinced myself an inside dog would be easier. (No, I am not kidding. No, I am not smart. Yes, I was wrong.) We researched breeds and finally settled on a mini-schnoodle. Super Hypoallergenic, Non shedding (Because I am allergic to dirtyness), at full size will be about 15 pounds. And they are adorable.

We loved watching as the kids learned the value of a dollar over the course of the 3 months it took them to save up the money. They did extra chores at home, cleaned for  Mimi, worked in the store for Poppa, Laney made and sold jewelry, they did out side chores for Aunt Ashby and worked and saved and worked and saved some more.

The grand finale was for the Friday before we were to pick up the pup on Saturday. It was hot. Perfect for their last scheme - A lemonade stand. We baked cookies and had ice cold lemonade and invited all the neighbors, friends and family we could think of. Then the kids learned how to hustle.  lol!

It was a long, hot, day and they were give out after it was all said and done, but they did it! They had earned  $470 for their puppy!


Entrepreneurs in the making!

The next morning we made our way to Little Rock, Ark., to meet up with Charlie who was driven to meet us all the way from Texas. The kids adore him. He and Caleb play like litter mates and Laney is always ready to cuddle him, and treat him like her own little baby.



As for me and Ricky, well, it hasn't been without its bumps in the road lol! We are not indoor pet people. But we are adjusting and he really is a smart puppy. Thank goodness he is so cute!



Welcome to the family little Charlie. Thanks for teaching me patience. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment