Sunday, December 18, 2011

Let it be Christmas

This weekend we had our annual family get together with Ricky's parents and sister in Nashville. We had a conflicting schedule this year and were sad that we had to miss our Reed family Christmas. It is always fun to watch the flurry of kids at the Reed's Christmas, with as big of a family as we have Christmas is one of the only times of the year we usually can all be together. Hopefully next year we can get our schedules worked so that we can make it.
But, on to the Hargis/Pate Christmas. Laney and Caleb have talked for days about going to see Andrew and Ben. When we got on the road yesterday they non-stopped asked when we would be there and how much longer. That is really unusual for them, they are usually really good on road trips. I guess the excitement of seeing their cousins mixed with knowing presents awaited them was too much for them as this was definitely not their best road trip performance. However, once we arrived at the Pate house, the rowdy trip was soon forgotten. Aunt Emily and Uncle Jason had a feast waiting for us. Nina and Papaw were also there, with presents already underneath the tree. We enjoyed a wonderful potluck of finger foods, including a finger-lickin-good pork tenderloin that I am dying to know how to make (hint hint Uncle Jason). Emily and I actually got to set back this year for the first time in years and enjoy spending time with everyone. We commented on how it has been a long time since neither of us has had a baby crying to be fed, changed or held. This year the kids are all old enough to enjoy playing with each other and even eating on their own without constant supervision. It was so good to set around the adult table and enjoy grown-up conversation. Not that I don't enjoy talking about Barbie, or playing imaginary football with Caleb, but it is nice to have the kids all at a stage where they are playing and enjoying themselves while the adults visit and talk.
Once everyone had enjoyed more than their fill of eats, we all finally ended the kids torturous waiting and passed out the gifts. Laney's favorite gift was a small wind up jewelry box that has a tiny pony inside that twirls to the nutcracker music when it is opened, and she also loved her sleeping bag and pillow set. She wants it with her everywhere and I had to put my foot down today with "no, we are not taking it to church to cover up with even if it is cold". I think Caleb's favorite gift was his angry birds game. Although he is really enjoying wearing his sheriff's hat and trying to boss everyone around, as well as shooting those who don't oblige him (his weapon of choice being the stick horse he got turned around). My favorite gift the kids got however, were two giant Big Joe bean bag chairs. I am so excited to have these in our playroom for the kids to lounge on while watching TV (i.e. cartoons on our desktop).
Once all the gifts were opened, it was time to eat a little more and explore all the new gifts. All too soon we realized time had gotten away from us and we packed up, said our goodbyes and left Nashville around 9:30 for our 2+ hour trip home. Again on the way home, the kids were not at their best. But we soon made it home and crashed into bed sometime after midnight. Today we have enjoyed finding a place for all the new things we got last night and the kids have busied themselves with all their new gifts.

Laney, Ben, Drew and Caleb


I love these cheesin', dimpled cousins

Nina/Granna and 3 of her Grands

The family, minus the in-laws

Auntie Em and Uncle Jason...the wonderful Hosts for the evening, they did a great job!

The Sheriff
Drew (the basketball player)


The pony, but look out, it's really a rifle in disguise!

I love his sweet cheeks

Andrew in the Big Joe bag
Laney watching her spinning pony in her wind up box, laying on her sleeping bag, sweet girl

My favorite picture from the night
Of all the years we have spent together, I think this was my favorite Hargis family get together. I wish Auntie Em had not had a cold, but other than that I have to say it was very near perfect, which I think was something we all as a family needed and felt blessed to experience. Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE these pictures! We had such a great time. I agree, I think it was the best Hargis family Christmas yet. Very comfortable and relaxed. So happy Laney likes her sleeping bag so much! Ben was very upset last night that he didn't get to try out Ramone's Color Changing Garage, so the first thing he wanted to do this morning was play with that. Even before breakfast which is usually his first request. An amazing time was had by all. It is so nice that we can All get together and enjoy each other. I never thought it would ever be possible and I am so glad that it is. Ah, the power of children...or in this case, grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say that I am so very thankful for all of my children(including Bethany and Jason of course!) and for my precious & adorable Andrew, Laney Kay, Ben and Caleb. A mother/grandmother couldn't be more proud. I love them all dearly and being all together anytime but on these special occasions it is always a joy.
    Your pictures definitely captured the spirit of the entire evening! What a wonderful, relaxing, and fun time watching the children unwrap each gift, tearing through the paper like there was no tomorrow, just to see what was hidden there. It was so exciting watching them! Laney and her pink cowgirl hat and she kept wanting to wind the horse on the jewelry box to make it go around and make music too. So sweet! Caleb and his stick-horse with his sheriff's hat. He knew exactly what to do! Ben and his Thomas the Train track, sharing was an issue, but only for a moment. Andrew...my only regret is that I wish I'd gone with him to the side door to see the surprise of the basketball goal granna & papaw had gotten him. And batteries...I've never seen kids get so excited about batteries! Hahaha!
    The perfect setting, thank you Emily and Jason, beautiful as always, delicious food, laughing and talking around the table...ahhhh...it was an excellent Hargis Christmas from beginning to end.

    ReplyDelete