Twas five nights before Christmas and all through the house not a creature was stirring, not even a ...hold up! Not a creature was stirring? Whose house was that?
Last night we had a little birthday party for Ricky. Yes, poor guy was born way too close to Christmas and it makes it nearly impossible to get a decent party together for him.But, we did try to make him feel like it was his birthday. On Monday night I cooked up one of his favorite meals, breakfast supper, complete with chocolate gravy and Ricky's Grandmomma was even able to join us. Tuesday night we had deer steaks wrapped in bacon (another of his favorites), OH, and a cake. Let me tell you about this cake. I had intentions of going to the store and getting everything to make him a really nice homemade cake. But Laney woke up with a fever and soon I was feeling sickly too. Then Ricky called from work mid-day to say he was under the weather. So instead, it was a full morning at the doctor's office for us, HAPPY CO-PAY BIRTHDAY! Needles to say the cake didn't happen. So, that evening I had the bright idea to fashion some type of cake. I gathered the kids and we inspected the pantry to see what we could use. We found 3 packages of oreos (one double stuffed, one fudge dipped and one mint) that had been given to us as a Christmas gift. So we sat down and started "designing" us up a cake. At this moment I began to envision how lovely it would look and how very "pinteresty" this was, I suddenly felt crafty, artsy and unique. Once we got done we decided it needed a little something else so we tied some ribbon around the plate, topped it with a big bow and set it on top of a cake platter. I was just so excited about it when Laney spoke up and said "Momma, that's not a cake, that's just a pile of cookies with a bow!" Ok, fine, she was right, and it was a rather large mess. Apparently you can't have your cookie and eat it too!
 |
| "A pile of cookies" |
Any way, while we were waiting for Ricky to get back from Paris from picking up a fork-lift (he does the strangest things to celebrate, no?) our friend "JenniSer" came over to keep us company. Dinner was nearly done so Me, Jennifer and the kids plopped down in the den to relax for a few minutes, just as Ricky came in. He joined us and we all set around talking for a bit.
Just then, "out on the lawn, there arose such a clatter, the kids sprang to the window to see what was the matter"! Stomp, jingle, stomp, jangle, we heard out on the porch. Just then, the big red man himself appeared, looking through our window at us. Laney let out an ear piercing scream, I mean a scream that split your eardrums, and not a delightful one. I think it frightened even Santa. But we got her calmed down and ran to the front door to see what Santa was up to. Caleb was excited and stepped over the threshold telling Santa "I want a ...Thomas the train". Hold the phone. This is the first Santa has heard about a Thomas, all we have heard for weeks is Spiderman this and Spiderman that. Then, my little Santa hating girl dashed out from behind my legs, to HUG SANTA! And she even got some candy canes for her and her brother from him. Then, as quick as a wink "Santa sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle, and away he and Olive flew like the down of a thistle". Thanks to Santa and Olive, Laney now assures us that she loves Santa and she knows about him now. Amazing the difference from every other Santa sighting we have had.
After that excitement died down, we enjoyed dinner, and yes, a slice of cookie too. Then Ricky finally opened his presents. The kids were so excited because I let them pick out their own gifts to Daddy this year (you will be able to tell in the pictures!). Soon it was time for bed, because all the cookies and Santa excitement had left everyone too hyper for Momma to control. The kids went to bed, and so did Ricky, but Jenn and I stayed up to visit and catch up. After helping the elf-meister come up with a few ideas for the last few nights of misch-elf-iousness, Jenn took off and I hit the bed saying, "Happy Co-pay birthday to all and to all a good-night!"
 |
| Caleb's picture for Daddy's birthday |
 |
| Laney's picture and message |
 |
| Did you hear that clatter?! |
 |
| Who is that peeking in the window? About here was where "the scream" began |
 |
| Discussing wish lists |
 |
| She just hugged him, and we nearly fainted! |
 |
| potty pants, Jenn & crazy eyed joe |
 |
| Ricky opening Caleb's gift ~ Caleb is all about his super heroes |
 |
| Laney's gift for Daddy |
 |
| Happy Christmas to all and to all a GOODNIGHT! |
No comments:
Post a Comment