Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Stepping further back in time...

This is part 2 of the day we spent with my mom and the wedding dresses. After Laney had finally been convinced to take off Mimi's dress and the hat, we worked on getting out my Memaw's dress. Talk about stepping back into a different time. This dress and its' entourage was from a different time! I remember when I was about 14, my Memaw got her wedding dress out and let me try it on. I remembered it had alot of layers and pieces to it, but I didn't remember how many until we got this out again for Laney.

I'm not even sure what all the different pieces of the dress were or what their purpose was to be. There were 2 different hoop skirts for underneath that helped make the dress stand out. A corset, then an under-dress that looked like it could have been a wedding dress itself. Then there was the actual dress, which was a beautiful tea-length strapless design. It came with a lace jacket that my Memaw wore in her wedding pictures, as well as a traveling cape, a lap blanket, shoes, purse, gloves, a heapiece with veil, and another veil that could be added to the existing one.

This is just the underdress....she doesn't even have the dress on yet!

My favorite one


Memaw's dress has vintage written all over it. It is intricate and has so much detail to it. Mom told me how that Memaw used to tell her the story of how she rode the bus from Milan to Memphis to be fitted for her wedding gown. And it took multiple trips to get all the fittings done. First of all the dress was tiny. By today's standards I would say the waist was perhaps a size 0.





This dress is unlike any dress I have ever seen and I just wish I had a good enough lens to capture how much detail went into it. It was a custom made design especially made for my grandmother. And it was breathtaking. It is yellowed with age, but you can still tell how much care went into the design of it.


As beautiful as it is, and as interesting a story behind it, for all that, it was very itchy for Laney and with so many layers (half of which we didn't even get onto her) she didn't last long in this one. Still tho, we enjoyed letting her be a queen for a few minutes and she did like how "poofy" it was.

LOVE THIS! Lets just keep it all real

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful dress and a beautiful girl! Vintage clothes are so interesting. I love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete