Thursday, May 24, 2012

Summer days

Well we are one week in to summer break. I already don't want school to start back. Summer is just so much more laid back (especially in the mornings) and we all are enjoying the break in routine.

 One thing I am working on trying to do this summer is to do some home lessons throughout each week. Our first day at this was a great success. We aim for about an hour of this at a time and I am hoping to do a lesson with them atleast 3x a week. This week we are working on Caleb recognizing and learning to write his letters. Since this is pretty new to him we are only working on one letter a day. I was very impressed with Caleb's efforts with the letter "A" on the first day. Laney knows her letters and numbers but we are focusing on her handwriting and neatness. So this week we started with numbers with her. She occasionally still flips her letters backwards when writing but is already making progress with that.
 
Every time he writes a letter he throws his hands up and says "YAY!"

I thought he did a great job!

working on neatness (not so much with our hair tho ;) its summertime after all!
Other lessons I'm planning for the near future will range from reading stories, playing games, bible stories and crafts, and some nature/exploring type walks. Nothing too strenuous and it is fun. I'm looking forward to doing this alot this summer and the kids both love it and call me "Teacher" when we are doing it. Ha!



Speaking of nature and exploring, we were not attempting to explore, but had a very close encounter with nature. Me and the kids were out in the yard and were watering our flowers. Laney was wearing flip flops and let out a screech and I saw her go hopping around the yard.

Yep, Laney stepped on a snake. Thankfully it was just a baby. Since Ricky was still at work, we decided to catch him in a bucket until he could get home and identify what it was. Because I was pretty certain it was  deadly Viper of some sort!
EEEWWW

Daddy identifying our prisoner
We managed to catch him with only a few screams and trap him. Ricky got home and assured us it was in fact not a Death Adder, as I had thought and so he took the kids and released him into the field. How is that for a nature lesson!


No comments:

Post a Comment