Thursday, January 16, 2014

A Shelf (minus the elf...)

Quick little project I did to start the New Year off with. I have been wanting and hunting for a wall shelf for awhile now for my den. I have a specific picture I wanted propped up on it. Well, I finally gave up and decided since I couldn't find what I wanted that I would attempt to make it. After a trip to Lowe's for some supplies I came home with this 48 inch piece of wood.

My photo to go on the shelf was 30 inches wide so I eye-balled it and decided 48 would give me a little room on each side to use down the road for the rest of the things I have in mind for this wall grouping. Anyway, I wanted the shelf to be a very dark finish to go with my rustic mantel in my den. So, I got a dark walnut stain and went to work. It worked really well and I only had to do 2 coats on it.

FYI: if I were to stain anything else I would next time get a heavier glove to wear, this things did not hardly do the job and then I ripped one half way thru and got stain all over my hands. But, for this quick project it was fine and I had them on hand, so ya know.

While at Lowe's I had also gotten these supports (below) and I stained them to match...Don't you love my work station? So professional...haha!
These supports sucked up the stain much quicker so they only took one coat of stain and then I went behind and touched them up in a couple spots once they dried.
As soon as my stain was dried, I applied a poly coat that came in a spray can. It made it so easy and it really helped give an even sheen to the project that was just right, not too shiny but not too dull. It brought out the detail in the wood and smoothed out any brush strokes from applying the stain.

That was it, then my nice husband attached the supports and hung it for me. I am so pleased with the outcome! I have a few more plans for the rest of this wall, but am so happy with the direction it is going. And even more so that I got to do a little DIY learning in the process!

Yeah, these are cell pics and they are dark and blurry , but you can hopefully get the idea.
I have to share this....A few years ago I picked up a shadow box at a thrift store. Inside it were someones old treasures. Well, a few weeks ago I was cleaning out this box and throwing everything away when this little lady fell out....
YEP! A corn husk creation of a little corn husk kid being spanked by his corn husk momma. Cracked me up! This piece will be hanging around awhile! It is a fantastic conversation piece to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment