Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Dear Winter...

This is my Dear John letter...except with one small change...

Dear Winter,
When we first got together I thought it might be fun. You seemed new and different. You brought with you the hope of snow, snow days off school, Christmas, nights in front of the fireplace, and only shaving my legs when deemed absolutely necessary. And you always bring out my favorite clothes. After all, with you come layers, boots, sweaters, scarves, and this year even boot socks. And baths! You always make me enjoy a nice long hot bath even more. It seemed like we were going to get along so well this time. But it always goes that way at first. And then, just like every time before....it happened. The new wore off. You got overbearing. It's like you don't know when to stop. My legs have taken on a whole new shade of white, that is alarming even in the dim light of the fireplace! The sniffles, coughs, and fear of the flu is following me and causing us to way over use soap and germ x. I'm so tired of bundling and running to and fro. While you brought us a couple snow days off school, you haven't produced enough snow to play in. The air is so dry we run humidifiers round the clock. It's like you are sucking the life right out of us. The muddy yard forces the kids to play inside. Do you know what that does to a person? TO A MOM? And yet, even with all that, I was beginning to get ok with you. I was just trying to make it through each day without giving it too much thought. And then, right in the middle of that, you had an off day. You weren't around, and instead Spring stopped in for 24 hours. Look, I know it's not your fault that you aren't like Spring. I mean, not to compare you or anything, but Spring is just different. He is bright, and just makes us want to go outside and take a deep refreshing breath, while you, well, you just make us want to close the blinds to block out your grey wet presence and hibernate until your gone. Really though, it's not you. It's me. Really, your nice and all, but I just have needs that you can't understand. I need a warm climate! I need sunshine! I need green things growing in my desolate yard! I need my kids to run and play and sweat! I need to be able to roll down my windows on my mini-van and feel the wind blowing through my mom-hair!!!! So I think the best thing for you to do is just to go. I'm not saying we will never get back together, I am just saying, its never gonna work between us. I've always known from the start that you were not for me. So, please, go. Go find the right one for you and leave us alone. Cause we enjoyed the day with Spring SO SO much and know that he and the ones that follow him (namely Summer and Fall) are the ones for us!! We can be friends and I hope you will come for visits in the future. SHORT VISITS. SHORT VISITS WITH A NICE SNOW! So please, take your damp, grey, life force sucking, energy lacking, sniffling inducing self and ....POOF, BE GONE!
With regards,
Bethany

P.S. I enclosed some pictures of us enjoying our day with Spring. I want you to remember us like this:







No comments:

Post a Comment