It would appear that over the new houses 41 year lifespan, the owners went through different periods of time where they found different styles of door knobs attractive. Because of that, we have brass, dingy brass, silver, chrome, black, bronzed and just ugly doorknobs all through the house. None of them match and none of them were what we wanted.
As we made out our master list of all the hardware items we would need to get at Lowe's one day, Ricky told me to count how many interior door knobs we would need. I told him I had a different idea. He knows when I say that is usually means a solution that involves paint. And he was right! So I took on Project Thrifty Doorknob. Instead of going and buying all matching doorknobs for the 1,700 doors we needed (slight exaggeration) I bought 3 cans of this....
I have been reading on home blogs for years about people using Rustoleum's Oil Rubbed Bronzed metallic spray paint. And I have always wanted to try it out for myself so this seemed the opportune time for us to give it a try. The results?
Lovely, no? We removed all the knobs and locks in the house and wiped them down with denatured alcohol to remove any build up, paint, oil etc... Actually my sister-in-law/daughter "Shelby" helped alot on this part along with Laney Kay. Then we gave each piece a coat of paint with the Oil Rubbed Bronze (ORB) spray. We let it dry for about 10 minutes and applied a second coat and then left them to dry for 24+ hours.
Now I will say this, when we first sprayed them, the pieces had a bit more shine than I expected and had a metallic finish where I was expecting more of a satin, smooth finish (judging from others experience with the product). But, once they set for a few days, I was really pleased with the finish. And even more pleased at all the $ we saved in buying the paint as opposed to all new hardware.
Next we removed all the door skid plates and painted both pieces of that as well. This picture above shows about half of the knobs and plates we had.
We haven't put all the knobs back on the doors as we are waiting until some painting projects get completed before we put them back in place, but I did put this one knob back on, just because I was wanting to see the completed look. I am really happy with the outcome and can not wait until all this comes together. Its a small thing but I think it will make the house feel much more uniform. Now we need to do all the door hinges in this same finish. Taking all the doors down though will have to wait another week or two.
Pretty hardware = A pretty door, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment