Friday, January 8, 2016

Mamie


 Mamie Marie - my Memaw

She mattered.
Losing this lady has affected me deeper than any other loss I have experienced in my 34 years. I can't tell you the number of times I have picked up the phone to call her over the last few weeks since she passed away, before I caught myself and realized she wouldn't be on the other end.  "My Mamie" I would say when she picked up the phone or "Little Mames" if she had been sickly...and she would say, "There's our dear little sweet Beth" (being not much under 6 feet tall, not many people call me "little" ... but always I was to her "little Beth".  It was not unusual for us to talk a couple times in a day and very rarely did more than a week go by that we did not talk.

That was not unusual for her though. Or my Pepaw. They loved to keep in touch with all their family, friends and pretty much anyone who would take the time to enjoy them. She was - the original facebook. She loved pictures, her coffee table was always covered with packages of photos and albums.The two of them could tag team and burn up the phone lines faster than anyone I know with news, keeping everyone in the know. Thats how they kept their family close. While we all laugh about how they "knew the news before it happened", that was important to them. Keeping everyone close and taking the time to care about and be involved in each ones lives - it was how they showed their love for us.

Anytime in life that I had a problem, or was just sorting through things, one of the first people I would call would be her. Few people in this life "get me" like she did. I would say that she and I had a special bond, except that she had so many special bonds with so many people, that I think instead I should say that she lived in such a way as to make many people feel like they had special bonds with her.

She told it like it was. If you didn't want to know Memaw's opinion of something  - you didn't ask. And even then, she might still tell you! :)  And the older I got the more I understood her and "got" what she meant by comments that might seem odd to others. Not to make you mad, but just her way.

There are so many things about her I miss. So many things I want to hold onto and remember and not forget. I could set around and talk about her for hours...but it seems people aren't comfortable doing that when someone passes away. I just want to talk about her, her unique ways, her life with my Pepaw and all the things that made Mamie ...Mamie.

Many thanks to my very understanding husband who has heard so many stories these last few weeks. As memories keep floating to my mind, I want to share them and he has a very patient heart (and ears) and has listened as I tell him of my treasured times with her. Along with letting me cry, putting me back together and allowing me to grieve.

She was an amazing Christian lady who lived her life #1 for her Lord ; #2 for her family and #3 for every other person she came in contact with - to share with them the story of her King Jesus and all He had done for her and could do for them. Her walk as a Christian wife, mother, and friend will not end with her recent trip to heaven. Her influence here for Him is evident. Even now, I am daily reminded of her and Pepaw's nightly prayer routine for their family. It convicts me and keeps me closer to my knees~ remembering each one of those that they have prayed over all these years. Evidence of their prayers can be seen all around in each of their children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren's lives. I wonder how many tragedies have been averted over the years from the "hedge" they prayed around us all.

Their home is full of trinkets and treasures, things that have been around all of my life. About two years ago while me and the kids were spending the night with Memaw and Pepaw I took my camera out and went around taking pictures of items that have always been around in their home. I think I started then preparing for this day that I knew would be coming.

That cup - all the grandkids would sure fight over who got to drink out of this cup. Oreos and this cup - meant you were at Memaw's and Pepaw's house.










Her toy basket - I played with these same toys when I was little. Now my kids play with them.

Always on the hunt for that "perfect color"






All their grandbabies




One week before she so suddenly left this world,  God gave me a gift. I got to spend a special day with her. Ricky and I drove in that Friday morning, and brought them Chick-fil-A. She loved their chicken minis after I introduced her to them a few years ago. We had a good visit with her and Pepaw and then me and Mamie left the boys and we hit the road and did her Christmas shopping. We spent several hours out shopping and buying all the things to wrap gifts with and then went back to wrap. We did a first that day...and a last. I took selfies with her. Selfies with my Memaw a week before she moved to heaven~


And some conversations that day that I will never forget. If ever I think a person knew they were heaven bound and preparing to leave - it was her. And then I came home. 3 days later we talked on the phone. And then just a few days later, she left this world.

In the early spring of 2015 I was at their house after she had gone through having her back broken again with osteoporosis, she was tired and feeling badly and we had a conversation. "I'm tired and ready for heaven Beth," she told me, and I knew she meant it. A tear or two rolled down my face as I told her I wasn't ready for that and I would really miss her when she goes,  like I had never missed anyone before. She got a little teary too and said, "I'll always be your Memaw, little Beth, even in heaven."







 Thank you Memaw, for the wonderful legacy you left behind. For loving your family, taking time for us, for reading Peter Rabbit to me and to my kids, for wanting to know about our lives and be a part of them  and always wanting us around. For living for Jesus and showing us how to. For loving me. For wanting me in your life. You knew the real me. 

 I am grateful to have had you as my Memaw, as my friend.

 I am missing you...

Matthew 25:23  {{Very}} Well done thou good and faithful servant....enter thou into the joy of thy Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment